Thursday, August 9, 2007

Jiminy!


Yesterday when I arrived at work I noticed a black bug in the hallway outside my office door. I thought it was a roach (Gasp!). So I stepped closer to look and realized it was a cricket. This was my first cricket sighting of 2007. I was admiring the shape of this cricket - the sharp bends of its hind legs, the sleek body lines, the many angles of the body. As I watched, the cricket turned it's body to face me. THE CRICKET CHARGED AT ME! This cricket moved a foot closer to me in a sudden movement. Wow. Why would a cricket charge at something over 100 times it's size? What was going through that little cricket brain? "Oh, I must scare this potential predator before she steps on me?" "Oh, she looks like she wants to make cricket soup out of me so I'll show her!" "Bet you money I can make this lady dance and possibly scream." "I'll try to get up her pants leg and then we'll see what is shaking." I was startled but I didn't scream and I didn't step on it. I admired the moxie of this cricket and let it continue it's cricket day in peace.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...