Thursday, November 29, 2007

Minnesota River


Lately, because of my travels through the Minnesota River Valley on I35, I have been admiring the Minnesota River Valley. The Minnesota River headwaters are at Big Stone Lake near Ortonville - on the border of South Dakota. The river flows south east until the town of Mankato when it hooks a left and flows north east into Minneapolis. The Minnesota river joins the Mississippi river near Fort Snelling. I have had a few experiences with the Minnesota River. I have camped several times at Big Stone Lake. I have fished and swam in Big Stone. Once we camped near New Ulm at Flandreau State Park. We spent a lovely afternoon wading through the Minnesota River, picking up rocks and cooling off. Offspring #1 was still in diapers at the time. I remember because he made the biggest mess in a German restaurant booster seat that I have ever seen in my life. The menu was in German. We toured a brewery with lovely gardens and peacocks strolling around the grounds showing off their tail feathers and making human like cries. I think it would be fun to spend some time next summer really exploring the Minnesota River. Here is a link that offers some possible itinerarys, tips, history, and wildlife information.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...