Friday, November 2, 2007

My Favorite Day of the Year at Work


Today was my favorite day of the year at work - the annual Years Of Service Award Ceremony of which I am the emcee. This short 15-20 minute ceremony is preceded by tons of work by a wonderful committee. All of us have done this multiple times and we all know our roles. The Years of Service Committee is very cooperative. We have great team work and camaraderie. This year 29 people received awards for 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years of service. Some years we have 30 year awards but not this year. Soon we will have 35 year awards too. We give out invite family and friends, give gifts, offer punch and coffee and cake (Costco cakes-carrot cake with cream cheese filling, chocolate cake with chocolate filling, white cake with strawberry filling). Each award winner gets a boutonniere or corsage to wear. People dress up. I write a short paragraph about each award winner and I read it out loud to a packed house - standing room only. And they laugh because sometimes what I have to say is funny. I poke gentle fun sometimes - all politically correct of course. We use the microphone from the karoaoke machine so everyone can hear. I am totally exhausted but it is by far, my favorite day of the year. I am lucky to have such a great job.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...