Friday, May 16, 2008

4H Plant Sale at the Fairgrounds


Grandpa Stenger always said to wait until May 15 to plant. Today is the 16th of May and I've been thinking about the 4H plant sale at the Anoka county fair grounds all day long. I've been salivating for this sale. I was in a vulnerable condition when I got there. I picked up a cardboard box and started throwing in petunias (red and white), geraniums (orange), saliva (orangy peach), snapdragons (gotta have them), zinnias, allysum, begonias (purple leaves with white flowers), sweet potato vine, cherry tomato, green bell pepper, cabbage, some flowing/vining plants and oh, I can't remember what all I got. Wait, I got a perennial called Snow on the Mountain as well. I filled up one box and set it on the counter. The women were eager to ring up my order. I told them I wasn't done yet. I got another box and filled up that one too. Then I saw a whole new section I hadn't looked at yet. I picked up three containers. A woman offered me another box and I said no, I already had 2 boxes and this was my self-discipline technique - I could buy no more than what I could carry in my hands. I got a lot of plants for $51. When I left the woman said they were open tomorrow. I asked her not to even tell me that. She said Ok, but the hours were 8 until 1. She was ruthless. I am so excited!

1 comment:

OhTheJoys said...

Friend, this:

"Sometimes you get real nasty - I like that."

Made me fall over laughing.

Thanks!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...