Thursday, May 29, 2008

Prime Land - Even Primer Now




I learned tonight that the prime land I visited on Saturday has been harvested for wild ginseng and morel mushrooms. I've never seen ginseng in the wild. I think I saw morel mushrooms once when I was walking through a city park near Coon Creek in Coon Rapids. Mushrooms frighten me because a plant misidentification problem can lead to death. I don't want to die from eating a mushroom. If I were to eat a morel mushroom I would identify it from a full-color mushroom field guide first. In any case, I want to go back to those woods again and look for them. What would I do if I found ginseng? I think I would take a picture for sure. If there was a lot I might pick one. Ginseng is supposed to be an adaptogen - something that decreases the body's response to stress. I don't really want to harvest it. I just want to see it and show it to others. I want the experience of finding it in the woods more than anything.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...