Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bugs Me

Yesterday we were talking about weather related anxiety. Some people get nervous when they hear thunder or see lightning or see dark clouds rolling by. That usually doesn't bother me. I like thunder. I know lightning is dangerous but it also enriches the soil. Strong winds bother me a little because 25 years ago my home was damaged by straight line winds. But weather doesn't usually bother me as much as most people. In this conversation, someone mentioned that those people who are really anxious about the weather often become meteorologists. That explains a lot! What bugs me? Meteorologists who dramatize the weather. OOOh, the coldest, the windiest, the most dangerous, the worst case scenario thunderstorm or snowfall. They quietly say the weather will probably be normal but go on and on about what could happen if things got worse. And the details! Oh, the freaking details. They'll tell you about weather patterns on the west coast and the name of this wind pattern and historical averages until I hit the MUTE button which is my way of saying, "Shut up about the weather!" Long as I'm at it, know what else bothers me? The teasing bothers me. Newscasters will spend more time hinting about what they're gonna talk about after the commercial than actually giving me the news. "Find out what health practice is shortening your life and whether you need to bring an umbrella to work tomorrow after this message." FGS! Stop telling me you're going to tell me and just tell me! I miss Dave Moore. He gave the news straight out without any teasing.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...