Sunday, August 23, 2009

362 Mile Trip

Because the weather was perfect and the timing just right, I was able to bike to Urbank and back this weekend. Biking in good weather on good roads is awesome but biking familiar roads that you've thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to ride my motorcycle on this road?" is awesomest. I took back roads of course. I traveled through Elk River, Otsego, St. Michael, Albertville, Buffalo, Maple Lake, South Haven, Eden Valley, Watkins, Paynesville (see photo of Lake Koronis above), Brooten, Belgrade, Regal (home of the Regal Eagles!), Glenwood, Alexandria, Leaf Valley and Urbank. I thought it would take forever and I would be exhausted. Actually, the ride seemed shorter than when I drive a car down Highway 94. Motorcycling on Highway 55 took 3 1/2 to 4 hours compared to 3 by car. And I wasn't tired. I stopped now and again to buy gas, swig some water, and walk around a little bit. I had to force myself to stop because I felt like I could have kept going without a break. On Saturday morning it was cool but I had lots of layers on. I could see tiny puff balls of clouds on the horizon. I watched the clouds grow and multiply. I could smell the ponds and lakes as I went by. I watched people mowing their grass after a week of rain. Cut grass laid on the side of the road and the smell drifted up and into my helmet. When I got to the farm I had a quick bite to eat and we went to the Douglas County Fair. We spent the afternoon there. The kids asked if I wanted to go on the rides like the Paratrooper, Gravitron, or Zippo. "Honey, I can't even look at those rides much less get on one. I had my ride getting up here." I watched lefse, krumkaka, rosettes and pizzelles being made. I had my cervical spine examined by a chiropractor. He says I have nerve impingement in 3 places. Now watch, my neck will start to hurt next. We saw all the livestock and had to touch each one. Riding home on Sunday was just as nice. I stopped at the Maple Lake cafe for lunch on the way home. What a great ride. I so want to do that again.

1 comment:

Dianne said...

You were in Eden Valley and Paynesville and didn't stop in to see me??????????

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...