Saturday, August 29, 2009

Lacking Luck With Laundry


I like to hang my laundry outside on Saturday mornings. The smell of wind dried sheets is a big pleasure for me. This year I haven't had to much luck. My clothesline broke in July. Three times I hung sheets outside only to run out there and save them from the rain. I really don't like having to take clothes off the line and put them in the dryer because it would have been a lot easier to just put them in the dryer in the first place. I replaced the clothesline in August. I tied it around the white oak and the cherry wood tree as usual. I've had the same two trees holding my clothesline for the past 17 years. This was my third rope. The first time I used the new rope the clothes sunk to the ground. I didn't tie the knot correctly. Extra rope slid through the knot. You ever try retying a knot with two loads of clothes hanging off it? It's not easy. The second time I used the new clothesline, it rained. The third time I used the new clothesline the top sheet sagged to the ground but it held. I just clipped the bottom hem up so it stayed off the ground. Today, I almost finished pinning two loads of clothes on the line when it broke. The oak tree broke the line, possibly on purpose. I think the oak tree had enough and used it's bark to cut my new clothesline in half. All my clean, Tide-scented clothes on the ground. I owe another dollar to my swearing fund which is not good but better than the twenty or thirty dollars worth of swear words that I ran though my mind but stopped short of saying out loud. No more buying clothesline at the grocery store. I'm getting tougher rope next time. I need rope that can handle the bark of an oak tree. Right now my semi-clean clothes are hanging on a wooden dryer rack on the deck. The sheets are draped over my swing. It's 5 o'clock and they're not quite dry yet.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...