Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Puppet Show


When I was a kid we went to puppet shows in the summer. The city we lived in had a puppet trailer. If I remember right, the puppet trailer had curved sides and resembled a gypsy wagon. It was brightly colored and it had a large window that propped outward. We kids sat in the grass in someone's lawn and waited for the show to arrive. The puppet show times and locations were published in the paper. My sisters and I arrived early for a good seat. The puppet wagon would roll up and park. I can't recall any of the shows we saw but I imagine we saw fairy tales most of the time. I remember once the city princess came along. She was wearing a real crown and a real silk sash. I was so awed; so impressed. I noticed she had a red blotch on her calf and I thought to myself, "I didn't know princesses got mosquito bites just like us regular people." Puppet shows are a fond memory for me. Today I saw a puppet show again. This time was special because one of my nephews was in the show. He played the cat owner, the ogre, and the King's assistant in the story, "Puss In Boots." He did a great job. I saw at least 50 kids sitting in the grass waiting for the show to start. I'll bet there were another 20 people watching above the age of 20. The city of Roseville has had the puppet show tradition for probably 50 years now. I was lucky to grow up in a town that offered so much to the children.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...