Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Chicken Update

So far we've gotten 8 eggs from our chickens. Most were smaller than the eggs you can buy at the store but one was of a good size. Inside the large egg we found two yolks. I've noticed lots of blue chicken droppings in the yard. At first I suspected the chickens found some wild grapes or other blue berries. Now I think these blue droppings are early, unformed eggs, or eggs without a hard shell. Offspring #2 calls them proto-eggs. I invited some friends over for omelets tomorrow. I guess I counted my eggs before they were laid because I'm going to have to buy some eggs to make omelets.

I've been debating the fate of Dwight all summer. He has not made any friends with his crowing at the crack of dawn. Now that dawn is at 6, it's not as bad but his 5 a.m. crowing was nearly the death of him. I don't need a rooster to get eggs. Hens can lay eggs without a rooster in the house. And he's not giving me any eggs. So why keep him? What benefit do I reap from the chicken feed he eats? I'm really not sure. He sure is pretty with his dark red, black, and teal feathers. My neighbor who also has chickens told me he will sound the alarm when a weasel or fox enters the yard. He offers some defense. She also says when it comes to weasels, chickens cannot win the fight. If I do get rid of him, now is the time to do it. This fall he will be good to eat. I know people who would be glad to take him off my hands. I go back and forth on the issue. In June and July, he was nearly a chicken dinner. Now I'm not so sure. The later sunrise goes in his favor. Also I heard young roosters crow more than mature roosters. As the years go by, he won't annoy me as much. Tonight when I put the chickens to bed, Dwight approached me with his sideways steps and his feathers all quivering. This is how he approaches his girls before he mounts them. I push him aside with my foot and say, "Get away from me you weirdo!" Dwight's future hangs in the balance.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...