Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Belated Happy Hatchday





















The chickens are a year and 6 days old today. I almost forgot their hatchday. They were hatched and mailed on April 1, 2009. The top photo of of Pamela. In the middle photo the chickens are following me around the yard as they like to do with Meredith in the lead, then Pamela, Kelly next and Phyllis bringing up the rear. The last photo shows Pamela (rear to camera) next to Meredith (the runaway) with Kelly and Phyllis (victim of a dog attack) in the background. Since I have adopted the chickens, they have laid about 3 eggs a day since September. That gives me approximately 630 eggs. I've paid for six bags of feed at $10.95 each equalling $65.70. That comes out to a little over a penny per egg. Sounds cheep but it's not accurate. I've also spent $10 on bedding, $25 on food and water containers and $400 on the coop plus the run. That figures out to 8 cents per egg. I've also gained. The chicken manure and pine bedding will really help the garden this year. Plus we have had countless hours of enjoyment watching the chickens behave. Sometimes one chicken will start walking so fast across the yead you'd think they suddenly remembered they were late for a meeting. Sometimes one chicken will peck at something worthless in the yard like an old piece of caulk and the other chickens will come running and try to steal it from her resulting in a chicken behavior sequence of steal and run, steal and run. Many hours I could have spent as a couch potato have been spent out in the fresh air, watching chickens. The chickens add drama to my life. They've brought the neighborhood closer together.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...