Saturday, April 10, 2010

Birds




We had another bird class this morning. This time we met on the east side of Round Lake in Andover. There is a convenient dirt road/parking area between the lake and the county road. We saw shovelers, scaup, bald eagles, red winged blackbirds, pheasants, a lonely sandhill crane, song sparrow, a pair of loon, wood duck, Canadian geese, gulls, mourning dove, goldfinches, a pair of trumpeter swans and an osprey. Just for us the osprey circled the lake and fished. It swooped down and splashed into the water twice while I had my binoculars focused on it. The osprey flew away empty handed but it put on a nice show. On my way home I saw a great white heron - a first for me this year.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...