Sunday, April 18, 2010

I can't tell a leopard from a pickeral.



My sibling and I decided to partake in the DNR frog and toad survey. We are assigned a route in Kennebec County near Mora. Before we could begin we have to pass a frog and toad quiz. I passed the owl test so I thought I could pass this test too. I listened to the CD the DNR gave me. The narrator sounds JUST like Sheldon from the television show "Big Bang Theory." I try to take him seriously. I had 16 frogs and toads to memorize. The test involves only 13 so I focused on them. Here are my notes: Chorus frog-sounds like a finger running down the teeth of a comb; Spring peeper - heart monitor, Wood frog - says "keck a heck" or sounds like a duck being strangled; Leopard frog - a 3 second rattling snore with rumbles and chuckles; Gray Tree frog - half second musical trill with squeaky yelps; Copes Gray Tree frog - similar to Gray tree but harsher and buzzier; American toad - long musical trill; Cricket frog - sounds like two pebbles clacking together; Pickeral frog - a 2 second snore with no rumbles or chuckles; Green frog - a loose banjo string being plucked decreasing in volume and tone; Bull frog says "Rum, ru-um"; Mink frog - 4 raps or horses hooves on cobblestone; Great Plains toad - a long metallic chant. I listened to the CD several times. I was directed to go to the USGS frog and toad quiz website. I practiced with the public test several times. This was hard. Sometimes there would be 5 frogs on the same sound clip. I had to adjust my realplayer several times to hear the quieter frogs. And Migwe, the canary, was absolutely no help at all. He must have thought he was at a jazz concert because he was scatting along with the frogs as loud as he could. Finally I thought to listen to the frog clips on earphones so the canary couldn't sing along. That helped quite a bit. But curse my slow dial-up connection. Each clip took about 3 minutes to load. After spending 90 minutes practicing, I took the quiz. And I failed the quiz. I needed a score of 65 to pass and I got 39. I thought maybe I wasn't an auditory learner. I practiced more over the weekend. This morning I took the quiz again and I did well with a score of 77. It's hard to tell the Gray Tree frog from the Copes Gray tree frog. The quiz allows you to answer Gray Tree frog unspecified so that helped a lot. The other combination that is hard to tell apart is the Leopard frog and the Pickeral. How can you tell a 2 second rattling snore from a 3 second rattling snore? Practice helped. I was dancing around the kitchen this morning in celebration of my victory over the frog and toad sounds.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...