Sunday, November 30, 2014

Creepy


The Scream!
Today I baked the last of the winter squash from my CSA allotment.  As I came into the kitchen at the end of the baking time, I heard a sound.  I heard something like a quiet scream.  I opened the oven door to look and the screaming lowered in tone but continued.  When I shut the oven door the screaming gradually increased  in tone to what it was before.  How creepy is that?  Vegetables screaming?  I suppose the liquid was leaving the squash and forcing air through the small tunnels.  I don't know but it was creepy.  It reminded me of an apple pie I made 25 years ago after reading Thinner by Stephen King.  I took the apple pie out of the oven and set it to cool on the stove.  Steam built up inside of the upper crust until the pressure of it moved some of the apple juice aside in one of the air holes and let the air out so the crust deflated.  Then the steam built up again and inflated the crust.  Inflate, deflate, the crust was pulsing just like the pie in Thinner.  I stood by the stove in utter horror, eyes wide, screaming about the pie.  My ex came in to see what all the screaming was about.  "You read too many books," he said.  How is that even possible?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...