Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Slam!

Winter is here. Winter just slammed the door on fall like BLAMO!  We didn't start with a light dusting of scenic snow.  We didn't start with a picturesque snow globe snowfall of several inches.  We were hit with 10 solid inches of the heavy, wet stuff.  Traffic on Monday was difficult. As I idled along with all the other south bound cars on Highway 47, just south of Sunwood Drive, where sound barrier walls line both sides of the road and a grassy meridian divides us from the north bound lane, I was surprised as heck to see, though the falling snow, three white tailed deer galloping up the highway.  Galloping deer?  My first thought was reindeer.  I looked again.  Three white tailed deer were panicked and could not escape this road with high wooden walls on both sides.  A very slow going van followed them heading north.  Suddenly my commute, which was twice as long as usual, wasn't as bad in comparison to what the deer were going through.  Coming home was about the same length until I got to my driveway.  My road wasn't plowed and I was good as long as I stayed in the tracks of the cars who came down the road before me.  As soon as I turned off the tracks I was stuck.  I had a shovel with me in the car.  Twenty minutes of shoveling gave me enough room to move my car out of the road and into the driveway.  Another three hours of shoveling got a skinny path to the garage.  Shoveling wasn't difficult but any activity that long gets hard.  I thought it would be easier if my shovel had an digital readout on it with my heart rate, time elapsed, calories expended, mets, inches moved and pounds lifted. I should work on my snow shovel patent now.  I think soon our culture will change from using fossil fuels to complete every single chore around the house to going green.  I am not the only person who doesn't want to use gasoline on the snow.  So what should I call this new and improved snow shovel?  The shovelizer?  I will have to come up with a better name than that for this to work.  I should have plenty of time because I talked to a snow plow operator today.  After last night, I'm done shoveling.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...