Saturday, November 8, 2014

Hunting

Today marks the beginning of deer hunting season.  I almost got one myself even though I didn't buy a deer tag and I don't own a rifle.  Coming back from a wonderful day in St. Cloud, I was driving the back roads between Elk River and home. The two lane road was curvy and hilly cutting through fields and forests and swamps.  I was traveling below the speed limit and with my bright lights on.  The deer stepped out onto the road from the right and I slammed on the brakes.  I looked into the rear view mirror.  Lucky for us the car behind me traveled as a safe distance.  The deer walked (not ran) across the road and I could see that it had a fine rack of antlers.  My car swerved a little as I braked but by then the deer was off the road and I could accelerate again.  Whew!  Too close for comfort.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...