Monday, June 15, 2015

For You Alone

I got For You Alone by Susan Kaye before my trip to Washington.  I thought it would be a good book to read while traveling.  I chose it because it was about a Navy captain.  Unfortunately I chose a dud.  The book was long and drawn out.  Although Frederick Wentworth is a Navy captain experienced in fighting against Napoleon, he is seriously lacking in social skills.  He likes one woman.  He misunderstands a situation and, like a seventh grader, he tries to make her jealous.  Due to his juvenile behavior another woman assumes he will marry her.  He does nothing to fix the situation but stews in his own agonized juices until I couldn't stand it anymore and had to put the book down.  Why can't a military leader just say what is on his mind?  This book was written in the Jane Austen style but not with the Jane Austen talent.  The Captain's behavior frustrated me but I did enjoy some parts of the book especially the chapters that outlined the Captain's relationship with his older brother.  I understand this book is the second of a series of two.  I won't bother picking up the first one..

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...