Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Something Right

Sometimes I wonder if I'm being a good steward of the land I own.  Am I really making the best of these 2.25 acres?  Are my decisions ecologically sound?  I know I have made mistakes.  Planting the hedge of Amur maples was a mistake but I didn't know that at the time.  Like in many areas, what seemed like a great idea 15 years ago is now recognized as an error.  What about my decision to reduce the mowing and let much of the lawn go natural?  Will that hurt the resale value of the property?  Or maybe it will help the resale value.  I guess it depends on what type of person wants to buy it.  I use poison sparingly and I think that is a good decision.  I still have to aggressively treat the poison ivy and the buckthorn.  Every year I make some progress but things would go backward without my efforts.  Lately I have seen hundreds of black damselflies in my yard.  They fly up and surround me as I mow.  With tiny white spots at the top of their wings, their beauty is striking, black against the green. This sight of these numerous black damselflies lead me to believe I'm doing something right.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...