Friday, June 26, 2015

Pets?

When I first watched the movie "Chicken Run" many years ago I thought the farmer's wife was a villain.  She counted the eggs each chicken laid and threatened to make chicken soup of the chicken who laid the fewest eggs.  What a meanie!  Now, however, I am beginning to relate.  Are my chickens part of an urban garden or are they pets?  I've been home since June 1st.  Today is the 26th.  Guess how many eggs I have harvested in the past 26 days?  Go ahead and guess.  Yeah, zero.  Nada.  None.  One egg was laid halfway out of the coop and broke upon the brick it landed on.  So I harvested none.  These are the days with the most sunlight of the year.  Chicken lay more eggs when the days are long.  I tell them that too.  As I give them fresh water in the morning I'll say, "Today will be a long day girls.  Try to lay something."  Do they listen?  If they do listen they don't cooperate.  This makes me think my chickens have become pets.  There is no question about their future.  I will let them live out their lives.  I am keeping track of egg production though, almost like the farmer's wife.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...