Friday, June 19, 2015

Walnut Catkin Season

Even though I had my black walnut tree trimmed earlier this spring, it is making a mess.  The male catkins are about done falling off the tree and landing near the front of my house.  These catkins land on the concrete sidewalk and stain it brown.  They get dragged in the house on my shoes. They land on the roof and stay there.  When rain falls the catkins turn the water brown and dank.  The water in my rain barrel is so dark brown that I can't see the bottom of a bucket if the water is more than two inches deep.  The water out of the rain barrel smells swampy and nasty too.  I think the tree is just about done dropping catkins.  I sweep the sidewalk clear and I can tell fewer and fewer are dropping each day.  I'll be glad when this mess is over.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...