Thursday, July 23, 2015

Ant Colony

Just for kicks we dug up an ant colony.  As you can see it was 10-12 inches high (higher than the tines of the pitchfork) and 12 inches in diameter.  It was evenly circular and flat on top.  I wondered what would be inside if we lifted off the top.

The mound was full of dirt and panicking ants, larva and grubs.

We saw ant eggs and larvae and pupae. Some of the larvae were white and others were tan.  There was much more soil in there than I thought.  I guess each generation just kept building on top of the last making the nest grow higher and higher.  Minnesota has at least 50 species of ants so I don't know what kind these are.  Since they don't come in the house I don't mind them.  I just dug up their home for curiosity reasons.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...