Friday, July 31, 2015

Bergamot

Several years ago I went on a Master Naturalist event where we learned about prairie plants and then collected seeds.  I was assigned the wild bergamot.  I had never heard of bergamot.  The plant is also known as bee balm and I had never heard of that either.  As I picked the bergamot seeds that afternoon I became familiar and attached to the plant.  I hiked through the prairie scouting for bergamot and picked off the seed heads and put them in a paper bag.  Later those seeds would be spread in another part of the prairie that needed some help.  A couple bergamot seed heads went into my pocket.  When I got home I spread them in my own prairie area.  One of them took.  Last year my bergamot blossomed.  This year the plant is HUGE!  Several small bergamot plants are growing beside this one that is four feet high.  Shaggy lilac blossoms cover this plant and the bees are all over it.  All varieties of bees visit this plant.  I understand the flowers and leaves can be used in teas and salads.  I think I'll leave mine out for the bees to enjoy.  I guess I picked the right plant for the right place because my bergamot is thriving!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...