Thursday, July 2, 2015

War and Remembrance

At the suggestion of Offspring #1 I read War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk.  The story was long but worth it.  This book is historical fiction about World War Two.  Three of the characters, Victor and his two sons, are in the United States Navy.  One is the captain of a destroyer, one a Navy pilot, and one a Navy officer on a submarine.  The story was fascinating, the dialogue was lively, and the characters were engaging.  I didn't like Rhoda (Victor's wife) very much.  This book gave me a new perspective on the war and how all encompassing it was.  Planes, ships and tanks moved around all over the entire globe during this conflict.  All the continents felt the effects of World War Two.  Historical fiction is a good medium for me because I can be entertained while learning. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...