Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Frogs and Toads

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/naamp/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.routeSpeciesDetectionMap

If you go to the website above you can select a map of Minnesota and select a frog you are interested in and see where they have been detected.  Our route is the Kroschel route if you want to look at that data.  It's interesting to see where the Green frogs are in Minnesota.  I see more in the east and less in the west.  I guess there are more green frogs in the big woods, big rivers biome and the north woods biome and hardly any in the prairie biome.  This year we heard pickerel frogs. They've never been heard before on the Kroschel route but they have been heard in Princeton and in the Crow Hassan Park in Hennepin County.  And the call of the spring peepers?  Not all Minnesotans get to hear the peep, peep, peep in the spring.  Some prairie areas don't have spring peepers.  I can't imagine a spring without hearing a peeper.  The most common frog I see is the northern leopard frog.  I don't often hear them calling but the map shows they're pretty common all through our state.  I like to hear the "keck a heck" song of the wood frog but the southern edge of the state doesn't hear them either.  I looked up the Canadian toad.  I have never heard one but they're pretty common even in my part of the state but not as common as the American toads.  The most common frog to be heard seems to be the boreal chorus frog.  That one sounds like a person rubbing the teeth on a comb.  I do hear them frequently in the spring but I can't say I've ever seen one.  I believe this volunteering for the frog and toad survey has changed me.  I can't help but listen for frogs anymore.  Frog listening has become a natural instinct for me. 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...