Saturday, July 18, 2015

Little Wolves

My book club discussed Little Wolves by Thomas Maltman on Tuesday.  The author is a teacher at Normandale Community College. I wasn't a fan of the book.  Most people liked it.  For some reason, unless it's Sherlock Holmes, I don't like mystery books.  I resent being manipulated by the author to suspect the innocent.  This book put me off for biological reasons too.  The story is set in the prairie of south west Minnesota.  In south west Minnesota we have no wolves.  And no mountains.  He has written a mountain into the prairie.  So very wrong.  The author admits there are no wolves, only coyotes, but continues to call them wolves.  What I did like about the book was the description of what it is like for a young couple, fresh out of the ministry school, to move to a small town and take over a church and try to do things right.  The people in the town are used to their culture and their ways and they don't want any changes made.  That and some of the characters were intriguing.  But the ending?  I can't think of a more disgusting ending.  The other people in my club all liked though so my thoughts are in the minority.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...