Friday, September 18, 2015

Brain On Fire

I read Brain On Fire; My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalin.  The author is a reporter for the New York Post.  This fascinating tale describes her life as a 24 year old living life in New York City.  She is outgoing and sunny and has everything going for her.  Suddenly her thinking becomes foggy, her thoughts turn paranoid, her mind created hallucinations and her anxiety increases.  After a few weeks of these symptoms the seizures began.  If  Susannah hadn't gone to New York University Hospital, if she didn't have such a strong network of family and friends, if her insurance was less than adequate, if her parents weren't wealthy, if she wasn't lucky, she would have died or ended up in a nursing home or a mental health institution.  She got a very rare and newly discovered syndrome where her immune system went haywire and inflamed the right side of the brain.  With anti-immune system drugs, antibody transfusions and heavy doses of steroids she made a complete recovery.  She can't remember most of a six week period of her life and a few of the more disturbing hallucinations remain and seem very real to her but she is able to work and to socialize and to feel at peace inside her body.  The story is fascinating because of the implications this disease has on schizophrenia, autism, and other mental health diagnoses.  I have often thought how lucky I am to be given the brain chemistry that I have.  Without my particular brain chemistry, I might have a totally different personality, learning style, and possibly political leanings.  Brains and mental health issues fascinate me and I hope the near future brings relief to many.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...