Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Camping Makes Me Appreciate The Little Things In Life

One great thing about camping is it makes me grateful for little things that I don't normally even consider.  Dry underpants?  Very grateful now.  A sink with fresh water and a clean bar of soap?  Very grateful now.  The smell of my hands after washing them?  Grateful now.  Also grateful for my refrigerator, my microwave, my sturdy roof and my dishwasher.  The fact that there are no mosquitoes and no flies inside my house is super great.  Sleeping on the ground isn't easy even with a yoga mat and two sleeping bags beneath me (of which only one is mostly dry).  The lightning lights up the tent more than my bedroom at home.  Thunder sounds louder. I can hear the crickets, the katydids and the cicadas.  I can hear a barred owl a mile away.  The ground slopes so severely my nasal passages filled up until I turned my bed around so my head was higher than my feet. The camp site was small and we had a big tent.  Tree branches touched the roof and that is where the water probably got in. Despite the lack of a great night of sleep, camping is totally worth it.  No, seriously, camping is worth the lack of sleep.  I can sleep when I'm dead.  Now that I've gone camping I really feel like I really participated in my favorite season.  On a personal note, some people accused me of making up this song below but honestly, I don't have that talent.
 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...