Sunday, September 27, 2015

Training in Grand Marais

At the end of the day we took the bus up to Grand Marais to walk around the harbor.  Here we saw more columnar jointing.  At this location I usually walk out to the breakwater.  Since the wind and the water were so high and since the instructors went the other way, I went the other way too.  I picked my way slowly over the rocks, the roots and the mud and did my best not to fall. 

We saw fungi and lichen and cedar waxwings.  I forgot to mention that at Sugarloaf Cove we saw an American pipit and a peregrine falcon in the same minute of time.

The waves were really coming in hard but the rain had slowed down to a drizzle.

A gull watches over the town to make sure everything is in order.

We had a tour of the folk school.  A tv film crew was here for an episode of "How Its Made."  They were filming three stories.  One of the stories was on birch bark canoes.

Cedar strip canoes are also made here.  A family of 5 is here working together on this canoe.

This school offers classes on everything from forging knives, making bread, making moccasins, textile arts and carpentry.  The school brings in students from all over the world and adds quite a bit to the Grand Marais economy.  I think I should take a class here.  I think I would prefer doing something challenging and unfamiliar.  I think it would be pretty cool to forge my own knife.  The school has it's own schooner and sailing is another class that is offered.  After our tour we had dinner in town and took the hour long bus ride back to Wolf Ridge.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...