Friday, September 4, 2015

Feels Like We're Coming To The End

Like a racer approaching the corner of the last lap, on this Friday before Labor Day I feel like we're coming to the end of summer.  Summer is my favorite season and I think I spent it well.  I'm glad I scheduled my tune up (hip replacement) in the winter because I was able to take full advantage of my favorite season.  I kayaked.  I rode my motorcycle.  Did I stop at the Dairy Queen for a ice cream cone?  Yes.  Yes, I did.  Offspring #2 and I even walked to a DQ from her house and everyone knows the calories don't count if you walk there. I ate meals outside. I mowed the lawn. I wore white capris. I drove my car with all the windows open and my hair flying around my head. I watched lightening bugs.  I listened to frogs. I saw fire works.  I went for long walks.  I went for extra walks at lunch at work almost every day. I watched the birds.  I enjoyed bonfires and picnics.  I drank my morning coffee on my deck.  I spent time outside. I slept with all the windows open. I ate tomatoes and corn on the cob and green beans and peaches.  I sweated. I wore lots of body powder.  I have sandal tan on my feet. I went to the state fair.  I didn't go camping but I am going this weekend.  This will be the first time me and my new hip have slept on the hard ground.  I'll have lots of people around in case I need help getting up in the morning.  I guess if I have slacked in one summer time activity it would be gardening.  I struggle in getting to my feet when I squat. My gardens are weedy.  If I squat I need to hang onto something to get up again.  So I've been practicing.  I squat by the foot board of my bed and get up again.  I do a set of 12 consecutive squats in the pool.  In the pool is the easiest.  I squat in the bathroom and pull myself up with vanity.  So far I've been able to do one squat without support.  I'll keep practicing because I want to be able to squat soon.   Buck thorn hunting season is ahead and I have much buck thorn to hunt.  Other than gardening this has been a glorious summer for me to revel in my improved health and the wonderfully warm weather.  How long will it be until next summer? 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...