Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Gourd

This project was started 3 years ago when I bought some gourd seeds.  I grew the gourds and 3 of them were big enough to use a bird houses.  I harvested the gourds and wiped them down with a bleach and water mixture.  I kept my eye on them and let them dry while turning them every week or so and watching for mold.  Once a month for 3 months I wiped them with the bleach and water mixture.  Other than that I ignored them for two years.  Last summer they seemed dry enough.  I borrowed a door handle drill bit from Offspring #2 and drilled holes in each gourd.  I shook out the seeds and other stuff from inside the gourds.  I drilled small holes near the top to insert the floral wire hangers.  I painted them yellow (to match my house) and now they are all set to go outside. My only question is where to put them.  What will the birds think? Nice house - I think I'll move in here?  What is this neighborhood coming to?  Or, in the case of the house wrens - What?  Three more houses I need to completely fill with two inch twigs because it is very important that no other birds nest in this vicinity! 

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...