Sunday, January 10, 2016

Veggie Loaf

I made a delicious veggie loaf for my family this holiday season.  Ingredients:  1/2 cup sauteed celery, 1/2 sauteed onion, 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms, 4 chopped sauteed garlic cloves, 1 cup cooked red lentils ( I cooked the lentils in veggie broth), 2 TB ground flax, 1/2 cup vegie broth, salt and pepper to taste.  Mix the above ingredients.  Place parchment paper in a loaf pan.  Press the above mixture into the loaf pan to form a loaf.  Top with ketchup (I use hot and spicy Heinz ketchup).  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  Let cool 15 minutes before slicing.  This was a delicious veggie loaf.  The problem came because I buy bulk stuff from my local coop and I can't tell red lentils from red quinoa.  The loaf I made for the holidays didn't contain any lentils at all.  I didn't figure this out until it was almost all gone and I found the bag of lentils in my pantry.  Today I made the above recipe again, using lentils, and it's not nearly as tasty as quinoa.  Both are good but red quinoa is better.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...