Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Perspective

Every year, as the calendar pages turn from one month to the next, my perspective changes.  Today was a balmy 39 degree high, a day warm enough to apply the 2017 tabs to the car and to the motorcycle.  A few weeks ago 20 degrees seemed balmy because at least the air wasn't cold enough to hurt my face when I went outside.  Come June, 39 degrees will not feel balmy.  My definition of balmy changes every month.  Because I live in a northern climate, I am forced to adapt to the changes.  If I don't or can't adapt, I will die. yes, it's true that Minnesota weather is extreme enough to kill me. The climate affects what I wear, my footwear, what I keep in my car, what lotions I use on my skin, what sports I choose to indulge, my hobbies, what I eat and how I cook what I eat, and what I put on my bed when I sleep at night.  I would not need so many clothes in my closet if I lived nearer the equator. And because I live in a northern climate, I have a larger BMI.  I have to compensate by having less surface area to body mass.  So that totally explains the excess weight I have carried around for years.  It's the fault of the weather; not what I eat or how much I exercise or how many Dove chocolates I ate today (only 2).  If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd be tall and skinny like the Masai.  Instead I am short and stocky like an Eskimo simply to survive this winter weather.  The Masai might be a warrior tribe but could one of them shovel the snow off a long driveway such as mine without developing hypothermia?  I don't think so.  Logic tells me that when I retire and spend a winter season below the Mason Dixon line, it will only make sense that I grow taller and lose weight.  The bones in my arms and legs will lengthen because I won't have to work as hard to maintain my body heat and no doubt I will need to buy all new clothes. Can. Not. Wait. For. That. To. Happen!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...