Saturday, January 9, 2016

Us

I read Us by David Nocholls.  It is a story of the marriage of Douglas and Colleen; a scientist and an artist, a right brain and a left brain; a logical person and an emotional person.  One person reads the guide books before traveling to art museums and the other person doesn't want to know the facts ahead of time. They fall in love and after 25 years of marriage, divorce each other.  Just before they embark on a European vacation with their moody 17 year old son, Colleen tells Douglas she may want a divorce.  That alone made me not like Colleen. Douglas tries to win her love on the trip.  The story rings true. Sometimes I sympathize with Douglas and other times I sympathize with Colleen.  Isn't that how it is? In a marriage no one person is to blame in the relationship.  I found my allegiance swaying between the two and in the end, neither is to blame.  The story is sad and funny, heart breaking and heart warming all at the same time.  Great book!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...