Wednesday, January 13, 2016

State of Wonder

I had already read Ann Patchett's State of Wonder and loved it so I was happy that my book club chose it for the January book.  I thought the ending was very good and actually was crying crocodile tears while listening to the last few sentences driving in Coon Rapids.  The author has a way of building up momentum for a great ending.  Other people in my book club weren't so happy with the ending because many loose ends were not tied up.  They went so far as to suggest the title of the book came from not knowing the answers to many questions about the characters.  We can't really expect all the answers in a book, can we?  I mean, after all, the characters are not real people.  Some people think the author is too nice.  Others were upset that one of the characters had a casual affair with another one who was supposed to be a committed family man.  The biggest thing about the discussion for me was half the people were sure the main character is pregnant at the end of the book and that thought never even entered my mind.  When they pointed out all the reasons they drew that conclusion I could totally see how they got there and I wondered why I missed it.  And I read it twice for Pete's sake!  This is why I need to be in a book club.  I miss a lot being on my own.  Together, as a group, we explore the book fully and get more out of it.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...