Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

One of the guys in my book club recommended this short little book called The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up by Marie Kondo.  I finished the book on Saturday.  Today is Sunday and my life hasn't changed but I will say I spent ten unusual minutes refolding my socks and organizing my sock drawer. I never do that.  Plus I got rid of 5 pairs of socks because they did not "spark joy" in me. That's right.  If your belongings don't spark joy Marie Kondo tells you to throw them in the garbage.  I didn't throw my socks straight in the garbage but used them on a major wood staining project I did this weekend and then threw them in the garbage.  Much of the work suggested in the book is discarding everything that does not spark joy.  She says to start with clothes.  Sparking joy is a high bar.  I still have 20 pairs of socks in my drawer and I can't say they all spark joy but they all fit now that I know how to fold them.  No more turning 2 inches of cuff over the other one.  No, no, no, that is wrong.  Fold a crew sock in half and roll it up and sit it on the end so it takes up the depth of the drawer.  Store the rolled up socks and lean them against each other.  That way you can open the drawer and see at a glance all your socks and take a pair out without others falling to the floor. The author suggests you fold all your clothes into cube like shapes so they take up the depth of the drawer and you can take them out easily. I found this book on tidying up surprisingly interesting.  She contends that if you get your belongings in order you can relax in your home and have all your life priorities in order. Life changing?  That is a tall order. So far only my sock drawer has changed.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...