Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Bullhead Queen

I read  Sue Leaf's book, The Bullhead Queen because it was recommended to me.  The author doesn't write a story with a plot but she writes about the nature in her neighborhood on Pioneer Lake in Chisago county.  She writes about the annual ice forming on the lake and even though I'm a spring person, I suddenly appreciate winter a little bit more.  She writes about the Christmas bird count.  People in her area invite her in for coffee and scones.  I wish I got that kind of friendly treatment.  She writes about her spirituality, about stewardship, about the relationship between humans and animals. The book goes slowly through winter, spring, summer and fall. Her writing isn't enthralling and it doesn't build up to a splashy finish.  Instead her writing slowed me down, transported me to a lake side in a small town, and helped me appreciate the little things in life such as a glimpse of an owl, the croaking of a frog, and the blinking light of a firefly.  I liked the book.  Now, since I am meeting the author on Wednesday to hear her talk about another book she wrote. I better get back to reading!

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...