Thursday, May 17, 2018

15.5 Per Cent Interest Rate

On Tuesday I rode my motorcycle to work.  Naturally I wanted to take the long way home. I thought I would drive past my old house in Coon Rapids to see how things have changed.  There was construction on that street so I was hesitant to drive past all the heavy equipment.  As I paused in front of my old house I saw my old neighbor was mowing her lawn.  I decided to pull over and see if she  noticed me. She did notice me but didn't stop mowing for a long time.  I sat there, on my bike, contemplating the time of my life when I lived in this neighborhood. Eventually she came over and we talked.  Her husband died many years ago but he was a grounds keeper at the local community college. I told her he would be proud of her lush green grass.  She filled me in on her life and her son's life. She told me the other neighbor's husband passed away 3 years ago.  I did not know that. As we talked that neighbor drove home from work.  We both walked over to her house and I offered my sincere condolences. As she got out of the car she said, "Is that Sue?"  I was surprised she recognized me with my helmet hair.  Turns out the neighbor across the street is still the same neighbor and these three women help each other garden, solve life problems, give each other rides, and are there for each other.  These three women formed a bond that has remained strong for a quarter century. As I put on my helmet and drove away, I wondered how my life would have been different if I had stayed living there instead of moving to where I am now. I have no regrets but I am glad we bought that house in Coon Rapids now.  At the time, in 1983, we had an interest rate of 15.5 per cent and isn't that a crazy decision if you ever heard one?

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...