Sunday, May 6, 2018

Outside the Comfort Zone

I did something outside my comfort zone last night. There is good reason it was outside my comfort zone.  This act would be outside most people's comfort zone.  I have no experience in this and I did it by myself.  Everything worked out fine which is great because it would  be ironic if I got in trouble for lighting a grass fire in my yard. Would they take away my opportunity to play Smokey the Bear?  The evening was nice.  The wind was coming across the Rum River from Andover and moving towards my house. I lit the fire with a bag of sawdust, some wax, and some papers. I really did not need that much to get the fire started because the dry prairie grass took off very quickly, scarily quickly.  I started the fire on the edge of my prairie and I allowed it to move towards my house.  In total I burned an area about the size of my bedroom. When the fire moved toward my cherry bushes and lilac bush I got nervous and put the sprinkler out to keep those bushes from burning. I stood out there supervising for over an hour. I added other grass to keep some parts of the fire burning.  Who knows what the chickens thought of my behavior. The flock was keeping an eye on me.  I suppose they were worried about becoming fried chicken. I am very proud of my black prairie. I see all kinds of  other parts I wish I had burned but I think I had better not get ahead of myself.  I have a cousin who is on the city fire department.  How embarrassing that would be if he had to come and help me.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...