Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Coexisting With A Wood Thrush

Last night I was standing outside in my driveway waiting for someone to show up. I thought he was coming after 5.  He did come at 7:15. I didn't stand out there the whole time but while I was standing there a little bird stood with me. This little brown bird with a white eye ring and a speckled breast stood right in front of me for about 5 minutes. We looked at each other.  The little bird would hunt for bugs in the hollow of a decaying log and then return to looking at me looking at it. A yard away another bird of the same species was doing the same thing. We stood there together, in the drizzling rain, existing side by side.  I thought it might be a warbler but then again the speckled breast made me think of a thrush.  The bird was a little bit too big to be a warbler.  Also it was too calm and placid to be a warbler. I go inside and look it up.  Turns out it was a wood thrush.  It resembled a robin but was 40% smaller than a robin. I wished it would have sang a song for me but no such luck.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...