Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Pelicans


On our travels through the state parks, we took a road that went along the Rainy River.  As we traveled over the Rapid River (aptly named because look at those rapids!) we saw pelicans.  We pulled over quickly to get a closer look. My new camera was set on taking pictures of fireworks and I could not figure it out.  Instead I took this short movie. You can see the bumps on the bills of the pelicans which are only present at mating time. We saw pelicans catching and eating fish but the fish must have been small because they didn't make a big lump in the bill like I sometimes see on pelicans. We saw probably 100 or more white pelicans at this juncture of the Rapid River and the Rainy River.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...