Wednesday, April 10, 2019

H is for Hawk

I listened to Helen Macdonald read her book, H Is For Hawk, to me on CD's over the past week. Helen is a falconer.  Even though her hawk is a goshawk, she is still considered a falconers because falconers hunt with birds of prey. Helen trained Mabel, a goshawk, how to hunt for rabbits and pheasants. Training a goshawk is no easy task as goshawks are temperamental and aloof. The story of the relationship between Helen and Mabel is fascinating.  Being a falconer takes up huge amounts of time and energy and expense. Building trust with a hawk is time consuming and it takes a vast amount of problem solving to get it done. I admire falconers but I know I do not have the commitment it would take. This was a very interesting and informative book.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...