Saturday, April 27, 2019

The Future Home Of The Living God

I got lucky on this book on CD because Louise herself reads The  Future Home of the Living God to me. I love being read to and it is especially nice to hear the author read it herself. Louise is one of my favorite Minnesota authors. Someday I hope to visit her shop, Birchbark Books, in Minneapolis.  This story is a retelling of Margaret Atwood's novel, The Handmaid's Tale, but set in Minnesota. When Cedar, the heroine of the story, is sequestered at Fairview Riverside Hospital in Minneapolis I could not help but remember my stay there when Offspring #1 was born. I remember being not too happy with the nursing staff when they refused my Grandmother entrance to my room when my brother-in-law waltzed right in at an awkward moment. "Let my Grandma in!" I yelled from my  bed. My indignity is nothing compared to what Cedar goes through. I loved every minute of this dystopian story.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...