Sunday, December 22, 2019

Born A Crime

I had never heard of Trevor Noah before I read his book Born A Crime. Once I read his book I heard his name mentioned. I heard it the other day when Amy Kloubachar was talking about being on his show, the Daily Show. Born A Crime is written as a comedy but not all is funny in this autobiography. Trevor grew up in Soweto, South Africa at the time of apartheid.  At the time he was born it was against the law for a white man to mate with a black woman (or vice versa). Trevor grew apart from his German father. His mother took him to church many times a week. Later she married an auto mechanic.Trevor's mother was abused by her husband. The police refused to take her statement or look into the matter. Most of the book is directed at Trevor's strong mother. I enjoyed the book very much. I figured Trevor probably exaggerated some things for comedic effect but his description of his antics as a teenager in Soweto and Johannesburg are too outrageous to be completely fiction.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...