Monday, December 9, 2019

No More Chicken Coop

As a closing ceremony to the era of the chickens I decided to get rid of the coop last night. The wood on some parts of the coop was soft and rotten. The fox had chewed some of the wooden shingles off the egg door. I just so happened to have half a bag of charcoal, an old candle and a lighter at hand. I put the candle in the bag of charcoal, slid it under the coop, and waited for the magic to happen. Actually burning down the coop took a lot longer than I thought. Once the fire pierced a hole in the floor of the coop the flames slowly crept up the walls. Once the roof caught fire the process speeded up. The coop collapsed onto itself and the wood burned peacefully surrounded by trampled down snow. The whole process took a couple of hours out of my evening.

I had contemplated burning down this coop for years. I thought the smell would be terrible but it actually wasn't so bad. I need to go out there today and pick up the nails and screws. I am sure the inches of snow that fell completely extinguished the flames. Burning down the coop was actually a fun experience. I am lucky to have lived for so long in this neighborhood where I can get away with things like lighting chicken coops on fire.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...