Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Masterpiece

Fiona Davis wrote the historical fiction novel Masterpiece. The setting is Grand Central Station in New York City. In the 1920's there was an art school in Grand Central Station where Clara Darden was the sole female art teacher. She struggles to be treated equally to the male art teachers. Then the economic downturn of the great depression comes and with that a hard time for all artists. People are starving and do not have money for art. Another woman named Virginia gets a job at Grand Central Station in the 1970's. She discovers the remnants of the art school looking for the women's restroom. Her curiosity leads her to learn about Clara Darden and eventually helps Clara get credit for the work she always deserved. I enjoyed this book. I remembered a day in the summer of 1995 when I took a train into New York City and got off at this station. My family and I were following my sister-in-law who was giving us a guided tour. I walked through the station flabbergasted by the size and grandeur. I was so grateful to be with someone who knew what she was doing and where she was going to I could give in to my feelings of a tourist in awe.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...