Thursday, April 2, 2020

Superior Hiking Trail Segment #1

When I was deciding where to live after selling the house I considered trying all four corners of the state. I still might do that. I also considered my wish to walk some if not all of the Superior Hiking Trail. I decided on Duluth because the trail goes right through town and because I try to do the more physically strenuous goals sooner rather than later. Yesterday was a pretty nice day for a walk. I decided to do the section of the hiking trail from Hartley Nature Center to Martin Road. Most of this hike is on roads which are plowed and not icy. I parked at Hartley Nature Center and walked downhill for quite a while before crossing Woodlawn Avenue and heading uphill. Vermillion Road took me north between two large cemeteries. By the time I got to Martin Road I was pretty tired and had already been walking for an hour and a quarter. When I looked at the guide I didn't think a 3.2 mile hike was that long. I forgot I had to walk back. When I finally got back to my car after two and a half hours of walking I was very tired. But I wasn't sore or in pain or limping and that is huge. I don't think I can walk six miles day after day after day but I can walk six miles and still be fine which is a great thing because it hasn't always been that way for me. These titanium hips are serving me well.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Hi Sue, I think I read that you retired from Achieve, am I correct? Have you sold your house already? I am still in Mesa because the news tells Snowbirds to stay put if possible. I talked to both my kids yesterday to let them know I'm staying put. I plan to sell my house too. Wanted to last summer before I left MN but Staci had back surgery so that put a damper on things big time. My kids are working hard getting their belongings out of my my house so I can get it ready to list when I get back. I haven't decided yet if I want to continue working. Once my house sells I plan on being at my Getaway until I head back to AZ. I've talked to the new agency and they are more than happy to put me back on shifts. I think I will survive if I don't go back to work but will definitely miss the 7 guys I worked with. I hope you are safe and healthy. We sure are living scary times right now. We all pray the virus ends soon. Take care Dianne

Sue said...

Hi Dianne! Good to hear from you. Be aware, once you put your house on the market it could sell really fast. My house was sold in 8 days. I was shocked! And then I had to scramble to move out. Stay healthy!

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...