Saturday, April 11, 2020

Stream Monitoring

I tried again to find my second stream monitoring site where the Ush-kab-wan  River meets Lost Lake Road. I found Lost Lake road last time but it came to and end and only a snowmobile trail went forward. This time I came to the same place and now there was a road instead of a snowmobile trail. The road looked soft and sketchy so I parked. Before I could turn off my car a man driving a four wheeler came out of the road past my car. I thought it might be best to walk to the river because I knew it was close. Well, as you can see I found the river. The Ush-kab-wan river flows under the road through some culverts but it also flows over and across the road. The part of the road under water has some white bricks instead of gravel for pavement. The river was maybe 3 or 4 inches deep at the deepest part.

Where the pipe draws water upstream whirlpools form in the stream.

On the downstream side of the road the water flows fast and furious out of those pipes. This is going to be an interesting place to visit every week until October.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...