Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Power of Habit

I decided to read a non-fiction book this time so I chose The Power of Habit, Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business by Charles Duhigg. This book was written by a newspaper reporter who suggests if you want to change a habit, start by changing a small one and success will domino from that change. He gives examples from businesses such as Alcoa, Target, Starbucks, the British subway system, and Proctor and Gamble. He also gives examples of individuals who made or did not make changes in their habits. Although this book was easy to read I found the examples he gave did not always support the point he was trying to make. Several times I thought he was trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. He writes about the cue, the routine and the reward over and over and over again. Some of the stories about businesses were interesting but the author would start to tell one story and then another before going back to the first story. I would prefer to hear the story about one business straight through without interruption. Although my feelings about this book are mixed I have to admit I am more aware of my habits than I was before.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...