Saturday, April 18, 2020

Ush-kab-wan River Again

I went back to monitor the Ush-kab-wan River this week. The water was much lower. Last week the River completely covered these four cement pipes that allow the river to flow under the road.

The water was 37 degrees but very clear other than a tea color. I stood in the grass and threw my bucket into the water where it promptly got caught on some branches next to the cement pipes. I had to carefully step down through the grass and stand on one of the cement pipes to retrieve my bucket and gather my sample.

Last week this part of the road was under inches of water. The flooding must happen frequently at this spot or they would not have used this special pavement. The holes in these bricks are deep. I struggled to walk without tripping in my flat shoes. I suspect these are permeable pavers. I think I understand why this road is not plowed in the winter. Doesn't anyone live up this road? Maybe next week I will go exploring and see where this road leads.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...