Friday, May 1, 2020

Bog Boardwalk

Today I was monitoring my streams which are north and west of Duluth. I thought why not travel a little farther north and west and visit the Sax Zim bog? So I did. The weather was 60 and sunny when I left so that is how I dressed. The weather was 48 and raining when I got to the Warren Woessner bog walk. I found a rain coat in my car and took off hiking through the black spruce forest bog.

This was not a good day to go birding but I did have a nice walk through the bog.

At the very end of the bog boardwalk I saw two animals. One was white and one was black. I found two bog dogs. These dogs from the bog did not wear collars or tags. They looked well fed and healthy. I spoke to them in a friendly way. The white one walked with me up and down the boardwalk. Occasionally he would jump off the boardwalk onto the bog to smell something or pee on something but then he would return to my side. The black bog dog kept socially distant. Eventually the white bog dog got bored walking up and down the boardwalk and took off. Later I got a glimpse of the black dog running full tilt through the black spruces. What was he chasing? If I hadn't already seen him and knew he was a black lab, I might have thought I saw a puma.

No comments:

Hallaway

I have only been to Maplewood State Park once before. The time of the year was autumn and we thought we could snag a campsite. Wrong. Despit...